NEW YORK CITY, NY — New Yorkers this weekend plan to celebrate Japanese heritage, stroll through an avenue of art and welcome the return of a beloved Brooklyn street fair.
New York as we knew it may never come back, but what is back, for now, is the sense of a city where you can go out and do your thing, whatever that thing may be.
Enjoy the city this weekend, any way you please. Here are just a few places to do it.
Queens Theater Festival Puts Disabled Artistry In The Spotlight
- When: Performances run from May 13 through 22.
- Where: Queens Theater at 14 United Nations Ave. South,
- Que: A first-of-its-kind arts festival featuring performances by Deaf and Disabled artists at the Queens Theatre, highlighting work from national artists. The festival includes performances from Denver-based Phamaly Theater Company, Atlanta-based Full Radius Dance, and Omnium Circus, which hails from Queens… Learn More.
Featured Event: Madison Avenue Spring Gallery Walk
- When: Saturday, May 14th at 10:00 am
- Where: Madison Avenue
- Que: MADISON AVENUE SPRING GALLERY WALK OPENS TO THE PUBLIC ON SATURDAY MAY 14 Visits to 63 Madison Avenue galleries offer the opportunity to discover, learn and have access to view current collections, meet the artists, and attend a wide range of talks and tours Free and open to t… Learn More
Haitian Culture Celebration Brings Parade, Street Fair To Brooklyn
- When: 10 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Saturday, May 14
- Where: Parade route starts at the intersection of Toussaint L’ouverture Blvd. (Nostrand Avenue) and Pierre Toussaint Blvd. (Church Avenue) and continues to Foster and Brooklyn Avenue.
- Que: A history-making declaration of Haitian Heritage Month which will bring a celebration of the country’s vibrant culture to the streets of Brooklyn this weekend.
Free Dance, Music In Harlem’s Jackie Robinson Park
- When: Saturday will feature two performances, at 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm
- Where: Jackie Robinson Park Bandshell, along Bradhurst Avenue at West 148th Street.
- Que: Looking to enjoy the spring weather in Harlem? Consider stopping by Jackie Robinson Park on Saturday, when it will play host to a free outdoor music and dance performance… Learn More
Feature Event: We Refuse to Let the Supreme Court Take Away Abortion Rights!
- When: Saturday, May 14th at 2:00 pm
- Que: May 14 Mass Protest: We Refuse to Let the Supreme Court Take Away Abortion Rights! Rise Up 4 Abortion Rights Protests Currently Called for 41 Cities: Overturn Roe? HELL NO! STOP the Supreme Court From Taking Away the Right to Abortion! Forced Motherhood = Female Enslavement A… Learn More
Lingerie Making Workshop
- When: Saturday, May 14th at 10:30 am
- Where: 51 35th St
- Que: Fanny Karaman, the founder of Rue du Paradis, a bespoke, high-end lingerie brand, welcomes you to her intimate boutique. In small, intimate groups of 4, she will teach you how to sew a bespoke bralette. She will take your measurements and you will cut the fabric and ultimately… Learn More
- When: Saturday, May 14th at 1 pm
- Where: The procession will start on Central Park West and 81st Street and head south until 68th Street.
- Que: The first-ever official Japanese Parade in the Big Apple, with actor George Takei serving as the Grand Marshall….Learn More
Katharine Hepburn Garden Party at Dag Hammarskjold Plaza
- When: Saturday, May 14th at 1:00 pm
- Where: Dag Hammarskjöld Plaza
- Que: Katharine Hepburn Garden Party at Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, May 14th, 1 PM to 3 PM. Join us on May 14, 1 PM to 3 PM to celebrate Katharine Hepburn’s birthday (May 12) with a garden party at Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, East 47th Street, Manhattan, featuring FREE live music, refre… Learn More
AAPI Sunset Celebration at Chelsea Market
- When: Saturday, May 14th at 5:00 pm
- Where: chelsea market
- Que: In celebration of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, Pearl River Mart, Lunar Hard Seltzer, and Chelsea Market are throwing a “Sunset Celebration,” Saturday, May 14 from 5 – 8 PM to honor, support, and amplify Asian American Pacific Islander artists, foodies, small business… Learn More
Fabulous Fifth Avenue Fair
- When: Sunday, May 15th at 10 am
- Where: Fifth Avenue in Park Slope
- What: A long-running fair returns to Park Slope for the first time since the start of the pandemic. The “Fabulous Fifth Avenue Fair” will bring live music, local merchants and (even more) outdoor restaurant seating to the Fifth Avenue Open Street… Learn More
Greenwich Village LGBTQ & Rock Tour
- When: Sunday, May 15th at 10:00 am
- Where: Moxy NYC East Village
- Que: Many would consider Greenwich Village the most historic neighborhood in Manhattan. It was the hub of revival in arts, LGBTQ rights, music, politics and literature. It’s known as The Bohemian Capital of the world. Join us for a very historic walk that includes Bob Dylan’s ver… Learn More
Tompkins Avenue Open Street
- When: 12 to 7 pm
- Where: Tompkins Avenue in Bed-Stuy
- Que: A popular Open Street in Bed-Stuy makes a musical return this weekend…. Learn More
Adelphi Orchestra – International Anniversaries
- When: Sunday, May 15th at 7:00 pm
- Where: 601 W 114th St
- Que: The Adelphi Orchestra welcomes audiences to its 68th consecutive season of “Music for All” with “International Anniversaries” – a concert celebrating César Franck’s Bicentennial and an homage to Beethoven’s pandemic eclipsed 250th Anniversary – on Sunday, May 15, 7:00 PM, B… Learn More
- When: Partial eclipse starts at 10:28 pm and totality peaks at 12:11 am, according to NASA.
- Where: The sky.
- Que: The city that never sleeps could see two total lunar eclipses turn May’s full flower moon “blood” red Sunday night, if the weather behaves…. Learn More
Feature Event: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler Concert + Conversation with Gretchen Rubin
- When: Monday, May 16th at 7:00 pm
- Where: Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan
- Que: Join us for a sneak peek of the brand-new musical, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler. This theatrical adaptation of the beloved classic novel tells the story of 11-year-old Claudia Kincaid and her younger brother Jamie as they run away from home and hide out … Learn More
Check out more local events posted by your neighbors, or add your own, on the New York City Patch community calendar.
Editor’s note: This article was automatically generated based on event information mainly provided by community members. Patch has not independently verified most of this information, always check with organizers to confirm posted events are proceeding as planned. Click on any event in the list for more details. You can also reach out to email@example.com with any questions or other feedback about this article.