Happy Thursday, Los Angeles; today is National Limerick Day, which celebrates the birthday of poet Edward Lear and has been observed since at least 1984! Here’s everything you need to know going on today.
why are West-Hollywood planners hesitant to approve a new mixed-use development? Also, the City is planning on playground updates and off-leash dog park installations. Finally, what was the smoke on the 60 all about?
First, today’s weather:
Sunny and pleasant. High: 78 Low: 61.
Who should be the next Los Angeles Mayor? Please share your thoughts! (As of today, Rick Caruso leads the pack with 52.1% of your votes, and Karen Bass is in second place with 28.7%. Gina Viola is in third with 6.4%, and kevin de leon comes in fourth with 4.3%.)
Here are the top stories today in Los Angeles:
- Could we be getting a six-story apartment building at 8500 Santa Monica Boulevard? We learned on Wednesday that “a builder listed as 8500WH” submitted a proposal for a building that “would include 30 one- and two-bedroom apartments above 3,800 square feet of ground-floor shops and restaurants, plus a two-level underground parking garage for 33 cars.” The commercial building currently sitting on the lot would have to be demolished. west hollywood planners aren’t on board yet. (The Real Deal)
- the City Council voted on Wednesday to apply for $8.45 million through Measure A. Officials are eyeing ten park projects they would like to see done. They include pathway improvements at Hope and Peace Park on Bonnie Braean off-leash dog park at Strathern Park West at 12541 Saticoy Streetand a new play area for the State Street Recreation Center at 716 North State Street. (NBC)
- If you were driving anywhere near the 60 Freeway on Wednesday, you probably saw quite a bit of smoke. There were several small brush fires along the freeway that kept firefighters busy and snarled traffic “near the 101 and 5 freeway interchanges. Traffic was moving slowly through the Boyle Heights area.” A cause for the fires has not been announced. (NBC)
- The 23-year-old suspect in the attack on comedian Dave Chappelle requested to be released on his own recognition on Tuesday. However, the presiding judge denied the request, agreeing with the prosecutor that the suspect is “a risk to public safety and that he had a weapon on him during the incident.” He remains in jail in lieu of $30,000 bail. (CBS)
- Mark your calendars, The Griddle at 7916 Sunset is reopening this week “after operating as an itinerant brunch option for much of the past two years.” If you are unfamiliar with the fare, the fact that meals are described as “car tire-sized pancakes” should tell you everything you need to know. (Easter LA)
Today in Los Angeles:
- kids club at The Grove (10 AM)
- Electrick Children screens at Sideshow Books (1 PM)
- Jack Harlow CD Signing at Amoeba Music (4 PM)
- double power at the Caña Rum Bar (10 PM)
- Omnom, Wyatt Marshall, Rybo, And Matt Egbert at the Sound Nightclub (10 PM)
From my notebook:
- Chris Nichols will explore the visual history of the Walt Disney Company and the golden age of photojournalism. Visit the Los Angeles Public Library on 🗓 Thursday at 4 pm 📺 (Facebook)
- When patient care is under attack, what do we do? Stand up, fight back! the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO is proud to support Cedars Sinai workers getting ready to strike. Stay strong, brothers and sisters. We’ve got your back. (Facebook)
- Regarding increasing theft from vehicles in the area, the Hollywood United Neighborhood Council have received reports of thefts from vehicles parked on the street throughout the community. With tourism increasing, we expect this trend may continue. (Next Door)
- A Central Heron neighbor found a puppy wandering at Garvanza Park in Highland Park. She was only wearing this red collar with no tags. She is not chipped, either. Please share this post, so she can get back home. (Next Door)
- Our Westwood South-Veteran neighbor is looking for recommendations for a local bakery that makes a great hazelnut cake. Think Nutella or Ferrero Rocher, but in a cake. Need hazelnut cake specifically. Many thanks for your assistance. (Next Door)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Real Estate Vendors Expo Returns May 12th (May 12)
- 3-D Theatricals Presents Disney’s NEWSIES, A Musical Based on the Disney Film – May 13-29, 2022 (May 13)
- San Clemente Award-winning Annual Garden Tour (May 14)
- Artist Evening with RISK at Choice Contemporary (May 14)
- ONLINE WAREHOUSE SALE: MAY 13 – 15 (Le Marché Pop Up Spring 2022) (May 15)
- Kirk and Anne Douglas Estate Property Auction (May 18)
- Short Story Fest 2022 (May 22)
- Women Who Rock Benefit Concert Presented by Gibson Guitars (May 22)
- [Free Masterclass] Increase Your Website Sales & Leads Using SEO (May 28)
- Add your event
Loving the Los Angeles Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link, so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
- Send me a news tip or suggestion at firstname.lastname@example.org
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Thursday. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update!
— Sylvia Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran works out of sunny Southern California and has been freelance writing full-time since 2005. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Best Fiends (don’t judge), embraces social justice, and tries to live out Micah 6:8.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Los Angeles Daily? Contact me at email@example.com